It is a teatime snack in South India.
- Cherupayar / Green Gram / Moong Daal - 1 cup
- Jaggery - ½ cup
- Grated Coconut - ½ cup
- All purpose flour - 1 cup
- Rice flour - ½ cup
- Turmeric powder - 1 pinch
- Cardamom powder - ¼ tsp
- Salt - a pinch
- Oil for frying
- Mix salt, turmeric, rice flour and all purpose flour together.
- Add little water to make a thick batter.
- Cook Cherupayar / Green Gram in a cooker till it is soft and water is completely dries up .
- Dilute Jaggery by adding little water into it and filter it.
- Bring this syrup to boil in a vessel.
- When it starts boil add cardamom powder, grated coconut and cooked green gram and mix well.
- Saute well till the mixture is dry.
- Remove from heat and allow it to cool.
- Make small balls out of the mixture.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Dip each balls into the batter and put into the hot oil.
- Deep fry till golden colour.
- Remove from oil, drain it and serve.
Recommended Combination: Serve hot with Coffee or Tea