Neyyappam is a popular South Indian snack. Rice flour and Jaggery are the main ingredients of Neyyappam.In unniyappam we use ripe banana but in Neyyappam we dont. It is very easy to prepare. Kids will definitely like this.
- Raw rice Flour (like puttu podi) - 2 cup
- Kitul Jaggery(Karippatti) - 3/4 cup
- Ghee - 2 Tbsp
- Coconut slices(nicely cut) - 2 tbsp
- Cumin seed - ½ tsp
- Sesame seed- ½ tsp
- Coconut Oil for frying
- Baking soda - 1 pinch(optional)
- Dilute Jaggery by adding little water into it and filter it.
- Heat 1 Tbsp ghee and fry coconut slices, cumin seed and sesame seed and keep it aside.
- Add 1 Tbsp Ghee to the rice flour and mix well.
- Add little water to the rice flour and kneed the dough with hand very well like chappathi dough.
- keep aside this dough for an hour.
- After 1 hour add filtered jaggery and fried sesonings into it and mix it well.
- Make it a smooth batter like dosa batter. (If the batter is too thick add little water)
- Add baking soda into the batter and mix well.
- Heat Oil in a deep frying pan(cheenachatti).
- Pour a spoonful batter into the hot oil.
- Deep fry in medium heat.
- When one side is cooked, turn and cook the other side till it turns brown colour.