Ilayappam / Ila Ada is a tasty sweet snack wrapped in banana leaves and cooked in steam .
- Rice Flour -2 cup
- Grated Fresh Coconut - 1 cup
- Jaggery - ½ cup
- Ghee -1 tsp
- Salt - a pinch
- Boiled water - required to make dough
- Plantain Leaves
- Roast the rice flour lightly.
- Add Boiled Water and Salt to rice flour and make a soft dough like chappathi dough.
- Allow to cool the dough.
- Grease banana leaves with little ghee.
- Add little water to jaggery and boil make a thick syrup.
- Add the grated coconut to it and cook for 2 minutes and let it cool.
- Make the dough into small balls.
- Flatten the dough on a rectangular banana leaf as thin as possible using finger tips (use little water).
- Put a spoonful of coconut mixture on it and spread it in one half of the ada.
- Fold the banana leaf in half and fold the the edges to seal.
- Continue the same process with rest of the dough.
- Steam the ada in a steamer till cooked.
- Remove the banana leaves when it cools completely.