Theeyal is a delicious dish in Kerala. It has a rich distinct taste which makes it a distinct curry.
This recipe uses Pavakka or Bittergourd as the main ingredient.
- Sliced shallots(Pearl Onion) - 15 nos
- Slit Green Chilly- 4 nos
- BitterGourd / Pavakka- 1 Medium Size
- Grated Coconut- ½ cup
- Red Chilly Powder - 1½ tsp
- Coriander Powder- 1½ tsp
- Turmeric Powder-¼ tsp
- Fenugreek Powder- a pinch
- Tamarind - A gooseberry sized ball
- Water - 1/2 cup
- Curry Leaves - a few
- Salt to taste
- Oil - 2 tsp
- Heat 1 tsp of oil in a pan add Grated coconut and saute till brown.
- Add chilly powder and coriander powder and stir for a few minutes.
- Remove from fire and allow to cool.
- Grind it to a fine paste.
- Soak tamarind in ¼ cup of warm water and take the extract from it.
- Cut Bittergourd / Pavakka into small pieces.
- Heat remaining oil in a pan.
- Add sliced onions, Green Chilly and saute, till they turn golden brown colour.
- Add Pavakka and saute for another 3 minutes.
- Add turmeric Powder,salt and water,allow to cook.
- Add tamarind juice and allow to boil.
- Add coconut paste and let it to boil till the gravy thickens and oil seperates.
- Remove from the fire and add curry leaves.
- Sprinkle fenugreek powder and mix well.