Vattayappam or Rice Cake is a main item in Kerala.
Rice - Coconut batter cooked in steam to prepare this item.
- Raw rice flour -1 cups
- Grated Coconut - 1 ½ cup
- Cumin Seed - pinch
- Cream of Rice (thari)/Rava- 1 tbsp
- Ghee- ½ tsp
- Yeast -½ tsp
- Sugar- 5 tbsp
- Salt - ¼ tsp
- Lightly roast rice flour about 3 minutes.
- Mix yeast with sugar in 5 Tbsp warm water and keep aside.
- Grind Coconut and cumin seed to a fine paste.
- Cook the cream of rice in little water by stirring continuously.
- Mix rice flour, cooked cream of rice and yeast and knead into a soft dough.
- Add the coconut paste mix to the dough with little water and mix well.
- Add Salt and mix well to make a thick batter.
- Grease ghee in a pan (steel plate) and pour the batter into it.
- Steam it well in an idli steamer for 15 minutes.
- Remove it from the steamer.
- Let it cool for sometime and remove from the pan.