Theeyal is a typical kerala dish.It is a brown gravy dish.
Theeyal is made from a spice mixture consisting of roasted coconut , coriander seeds, dried red chili and fenugreek. All spices are ground to a paste and cooked in tamarind water with vegetables and shallot.
- sliced shallots(Pearl Onion) - 20 nos
- Slit Green Chilly- 5 nos
- Drumstick cuts- 10 nos
- Potato(sliced) - 1 nos
- Grated Coconut- 1 cup
- Red Chilly Powder - 1½ tsp
- Coriander Powder- 1 tsp
- Turmeric Powder-¼ tsp
- Fenugreek Powder- a pinch
- Tamarind - A gooseberry sized ball
- Water - 1/2 cup
- Curry Leaves - a few
- Salt to taste
- Oil - 3 tsp
- Heat 1 tsp of oil in a pan add Grated coconut and saute till brown.
- Add chilly powder and coriander powder and stir for a few minutes.
- Remove from fire and allow to cool.
- Grind it to a fine paste.
- Soak tamarind in ¼ cup of warm water and take the extract from it.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add sliced onions, Green Chilly and saute, till they turn golden brown colour.
- Add Drum stick and Potato , saute again.
- Add turmeric Powder,salt and water,allow to cook.
- Add tamarind juice and allow to boil.
- Add Coconut paste and let it to boil till the gravy thickens and oil seperates.
- Remove from the fire and add curry leaves.
- Sprinkle fenugreek powder and mix well.