Chutney is often served fresh as a side dish with breakfast, lunch and dinner. It often contains strong flavoured ingredients like dry hot chillies, green chillies, pearl onions, Curry leaves and other spices.
Tomato Chutney is a fine paste made with Tomato along with other spices. It is a good side dish for Dosa and Idly.
- Tomato (chopped)- 2 nos
- Onion (chopped) - 1 small
- Chopped Garlic - 1 tbsp
- Chilly Powder - 1 tsp
- Red chilli - 3 nos
- Asafoetida powder- ¼ tsp
- Fenugreek powder - 2 pinch
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Curry leaves - few
- Gingely oil - 3 tbsps
- Salt to taste
- Heat oil in a Pan.
- Add onions and garlic and saute`till the onion turns transparent.
- Add chopped tomatoes, chilly powder and saute well .
- Add salt and mix well.
- Grind them into a paste.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a Pan.
- Add mustard seeds and Red chilly, let it splutter.
- Add asafoetida, fenugreek powder and curry leaves.
- Add the paste to it and mix well.
- Let it cook for 4-5 minutes and remove from fire.