Sambar is a common in South India a dish.
Sambar is a vegetable soup made with tamarind and Red gram.Common vegetables used for Sambar are Potato, Onion, Carrot, Drumstick, Ladys finger, Tomato etc.
- Red gram(Thuvaraparippu) – ¼ cup
- Pearl/Red onions – 15 nos
- Drumstick cuts – 8 nos
- Diced Carrots – 2 nos
- Diced Onion - 1 nos
- Diced Potato – 2 nos
- Diced Brinjal - 2 nos
- Tomatoes – 1 nos
- Lady’s finger – 5 nos
- Green Chilly(slit)-4 nos
- Tamarind - A gooseberry sized ball
- Turmeric powder - ½ tsp
- Chilly powder - 2 tbsp
- Coriander powder - 3 tbsp
- Asafoetida -¼ tsp
- sliced Shallot -2 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Red Chilly-3 nos
- Salt – As reqd
- Fenugreek seeds– A pinch
- Oil - 1 tsp
- Curry leaves- few
- Cook the red gram along with Shallot and Green Chillies in water.
- When the dal is cooked well, mash it.
- Add Vegetables along with chilly powder,Turmeric powder,salt and water and cook well.
- Once vegtables cooked well, add Asafoetida and Tamarind syrup and allow to boil.
- Add Tomato, Ladys finger and corriander powder into it.
- Boil the Sambar for another 3 minutes and then remove from the fire.
- Heat oil in a pan and allow mustard seeds and Red chilly to splutter.
- Add Shallot and curry leaves into the oil and fry it.
- Add this seasoning into sambar.
- Sprinkle Fenugreek powder and mix well.