Appam made with ground soaked rice and cooked rice, mixed to a batter with coconut milk and water then left in a warm place to ferment for a number of hours. Appam is thin and crisp round the edges and fluffy and thick in the centre.
- Raw rice – 1 cup
- Cooked rice(parboiled) – 2 tbsp
- Scraped coconut – ½ or coconut milk -½ cup
- Yeast -¼ tsp
- Sugar -1 tbsp
- Salt - As reqd
- Soak rice for atleast 4 hrs
- Make a batter of rice, coconut( or coconut milk)and cooked rice(batter should not be too watery)
- Add yeast and sugar to warm water and dissolve.
- Add this to the batter and keep for about 6 hrs.
- Before making appams, add salt and little sugar.
- Heat a Pan(Appachatti).
- Pour a spoonful batter into the appa chatti and rotate the Chatti.
- Cover the pan and cook in medium flame till the edges of the Appam turn golden colour..