Erissery made with a combination of Pumpkin and Blackeyed Beans (vanpayar). It is a traditional kerala dish.
- Blackeyed Beans(Van payar) - ½ cup
- Chopped Pumpkin - 2 cups
- Grated coconut - ½ cup
- Grated coconut(for seasoning)- 3 Tbsp
- Cumin seeds- ½ tsp
- Garlic pods - 1 nos
- Turmeric powder - ¼ tsp
- Chilly powder - ½ tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Red chillies - 2 nos
- Salt to taste
- Coconut Oil - 1 tbsp
- Curry leaves - A few
- Cook Beans in a Pressure cooker with water and turmeric powder for 3 -4 whistle.
- Cook Pumpkin along with the cooked beans.
- Grind Coconut, Cumin seed and Garlic into paste.
- Add Coconut paste and Salt to cooked Pumpkin and allow to boil.
- Remove from fire.
- Heat Oil in a Pan.
- Add Mustrard seeds and Red chillies and Curry leaves in to it, allow to Splutter.
- When it starts to splutter, add the grated coconut and fry it until it turns brown.
- Add it to the cooked Erissery and mix well.