This is the traditional Kerala style curry.Kadala is Malayalam for Black Chickpea.
- Kadala(Kala Chana) - 1 cup
- Diced onions - ¼ cup
- Chopped Tomato - 1 nos
- Green Chilly(slit) -3
- Turmeric powder -¼ tsp
- Grated coconut -½ cup
- Chilly Powder - ½ tsp
- Coriander powder-½ tsp
- Fennel seed powder - 1 tsp
- Sliced shallots - 1 tbsp
- Coconut Oil - 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Red chilly -2 nos
- salt to taste
- Curry leaves - a few
- Soak Kadala in water for 6 hours .
- Cook soaked kadala with onions, turmeric powder and Water in a pressure cooker for 5-6 whistle.
- Heat a pan, add Grated coconut and saute till brown.
- Add Chilly and Coriander powder and stir for a few minutes.
- Remove from fire and allow to cool.
- Grind it to a fine paste.
- Heat Oil in a Pan.
- Add mustrard seeds and red chillies and curry leaves in to it, allow to Splutter.
- Add sliced shallot and fry it.
- Add tomato and saute well.
- Add cooked kadala along with salt and ground paste and fennel seed powder.
- Mix well and let it boil, till the gravy is thick.