Erissery is typical kerala dish. It is a combination of cooked Vegetable and Beans, seasoned by Grated Coconut.
Kaaya Erissery made with a combination of Banana and Blackeyed Beans (vanpayar).Banana consist of sugar and fiber.Black-eyed peas provide a number of nutrients, are a rich source of fiber.
- Blackeyed Beans(Van payar) - 1/2 cup
- Unripened Banana(cut into cubes) - 1 cups
- Grated coconut - ¼ cup
- Grated coconut(for seasoning)- 3 Tbs
- Cumin seeds(Jeerakam) - ½ tsp
- Garlic pods - 1 nos
- Salt - As reqd
- Turmeric powder - ¼ tsp
- Chilly powder - ¼ tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Red chillies - 2 nos
- Coconut Oil - 1 tbsp
- Curry leaves - A few
- Cook Beans in a Pressure cooker with water and turmeric powder for 3 -4 whistle.
- Cook Banana along with the cooked beans.
- Grind Coconut,Cumin seed and Garlic into paste.
- Add coconut paste and Salt into it and allow to boil.
- Remove from fire.
- Heat Oil in a Pan.
- Add Mustrard seeds and Red chillies and Curry leaves in to it, allow to Splutter.
- When it starts to splutter, add the grated coconut and fry it until it turns brown.
- Add it to the cooked Erissery and mix well.