Pulinji is a traditional dish that comes in the same category as Pickle which is served during Sadya or with Rice.
Pulinji is prepared using Fried Ginger powder cooked with Tamarind juice.
- Ginger (peeled and cut into small pieces) - 1 cup
- Roundly cut green Chilly - 1 tsp
- Chilly powder - 1 tsp
- Corriander powder - ½ tsp
- Turmeric Powder - ¼ tsp
- Fenugreek powder -¼ tsp
- Tamarind - 1 lemon size
- Mustard seeds - ½ tsp
- Coconut Oil - ¼ cup
- Curry leaves- few
- Salt - to taste
- Jaggery syrup(optional) -3 tbsp
- Soak Tamarind in water for some time and extract the juice by squeezing it.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the chopped ginger pieces till it turns brown and crisp.
- Remove it from the Oil, let it cool.
- Grind the ginger into a fine powder.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan, splutter mustard and curry leaves.
- Add green chilli and fry it.
- Add Chilli powder, Corriander powder and ginger powder and saute.
- Add Tamarind juice ,Turmeric powder and salt and let it boil.
- (optional - for sweetness add Jaggery syrup and boil for few minutes.)
- Sprinkle fenugreek powder, mix well and remove from fire.
Recommended Combination: Serve with Rice