Idli is a popular food throughout South India.
Idli is a fermented food which is prepared by steaming fermented black gram (Urad Daal) and rice batter. It makes an important contribution to the diet as a source of protein, calories and vitamins, especially B-complex vitamins, compared to the raw unfermented ingredients.
- RawRice -2 cups
- Urad Daal - 1 cup
- Water - as required
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Soak rice and Urad daal separately for 5 hours.
- Nicely grind rice and Urad daal separately in water.
- Mix together rice, daal and salt.
- Keep it overnight to ferment.
- Spread oil on the idli mould.
- Pour the batter in the mould .
- Steam the vessel for about 8- 10 minutes.