Chakka Appam is an seasonal authentic kerala snack.
The main ingredients include Jack fruit, Rice powder and Jaggery. The dough is wrapped in 'Vazhanayila' (can use Banana leaves too) and cooked in steam.
- Roasted Rice flour-2 cups
- Ripe Jack fruit pulp - ½ cup
- Jaggery- 1 cup
- Grated coconut -1 cup
- Salt- a pinch
- Cardamom powder(optional) - a pinch
- Mix Jack fruit pulp, Jaggery, grated coconut, salt with rice powder very well.
- (optionally you can add cardamom powder to it)
- Add little water and knead to make a soft dough.
- Take a small ball of dough and spread it in one half of banana leaf/ Vazhana ila ( bayleaf) and fold the leaf.
- Stem the Appam in a steamer or idli cooker till it fully cooked.