Aviyal is a typical Kerala dish. This recipe is usually made with lot of vegetables. Common vegetables that are used to make aviyal are Yam, Plantain, Drumsticks, Carrots,Ash gourd etc..
It is a thick mixture of a vegetables, curd and coconut.It is seasoned with coconut oil and curry leaves.
- Carrot - 2 nos
- Brinjal - 3 nos
- Green Beans/long beans - 5 nos
- Raw plantain - 1 nos
- Drumstick cuts - 10 nos
- Ash gourd(sliced) - ¼ cup or
- Cuccumber(sliced) - ¼ cup
- Snake gourd(sliced) - ¼ cup
- Yam(sliced) -½ cup
- Turmeric Powder - ½ tsp
- Red Chilly Powder -½ tsp
- Green Chillies -4 nos
- Pearl Onion/Shallot -5 nos
- Cumin Seed - ¼ tsp
- Grated Coconut -1 cup
- Water- ½ of vegetables
- Curd -2 tbsp
- Salt - to taste
- Coconut Oil -1 tbsp
- Curry leaves -1 stem
- Slice all the vegetables in finger size length .
- Put the sliced vegetables in a pan along with salt, turmeric Powder,red chilly powder and water .
- Cover the pan and cook the vegetables.
- Grind together Grated Coconut,cumin seeds, pearl onions and green Chillies.
- Once the vegetables are cooked well,add the ground paste and cook for few minutes.
- Turn off the stove, add curd and mix well(instaed of curd we can use raw mango or tamarind juice for sourness).
- Add coconut oil and curry leaves and mix well.